The holiday season is such a special time for most of us. We are gathered around family and friends with so much love in the air. While we grew up with the notion of Santa Clause giving us presents, we also grew up knowing that Christmas was the season of giving. It’s the perfect time of year to give to others who are less fortunate. Giving back this holiday season to do a good deed can make you feel really good. From donating canned goods to putting together a care package for troops or helping the homeless. There are many ways to help out. Here are a few examples.
- Serve a Holiday Meal: Most soup kitchens and shelters serve special holiday meals to hundreds of people. Carve out a few hours of your family’s day. You can wash dishes or welcome folks in from the cold with a warm smile and hot drink.
- Purchase Extra Cans of Soup: Nonperishables drives are happening everywhere you look this time of year. Add a few cans of soup or tuna or jars of peanut butter to your shopping cart. You may even be able to donate them at the grocery store cash register.
- Bake Cookies, But Make Extra: It doesn’t matter if you make traditional Christmas cookies or make-ahead cookies this holiday season. What matters is spending time with loved ones and spreading that holiday cheer. By giving out sweet somethings shows a sign of caring. This year try doubling your recipe. Hand them out to family, friends, and neighbours as a sign of love and kindness.
- Don’t Forget About Our Furry Friends: Don’t forget that our puppies and kittens need holiday love, too. Donate what you can to the nearest no-kill shelter or animal organization. Whether it’s treats, cans of food, or toys, a small gesture makes a difference.
- Clear Out Your Closet: Donating your used or unused goods is another way to give back during the holidays. Go through your closets for old clothes and coats. Riffle through the cabinets for canned goods you will probably never eat. Encourage your little ones to give away toys they have outgrown.
These are only few ways for giving back this holiday season. Make sure to spread the love, joy, and cheer to others around you. What goes around, comes around. Spread the good.